Monday, August 22, 2011

The First Day of Homeschool!

Today was the official first day of Our Homeschool.  (We'll have to think of a more creative name - I'll be accepting suggestions!)  I decided to begin this week with Calender Time, Math, and Language Arts.  Next week we will start our first week of My Father's World which includes Bible, History, Science, Art, and Music.  


Our morning began bright and early and most of us were excited to start school!  (JR isn't excited to start anything until about 10am - he gets that from me.)  Cinnamon rolls were our special First-Day-of-School breakfast!  After LD was tucked in for his morning nap, the big kids and I started exploring our Calender Board.    

I don't remember what was so funny, but I love that laugh!
JR is doing a Geometry Chapter in Math, so today he studied circles.



Stamping circles
EM began a review of numbers this week.

The kids did awesome in their Language Arts lessons!  I was amazed at how quickly EM picked up the new phonogram sounds we practiced today and JR enjoyed the silly "A" poem we read.  

EM and I ended the day with our favorite thing...Arts and Crafts!  We made some pretty "stained glass" butterflies to brighten up our school room (aka dining room ;) )


EM told us several times today how much she loves homeschool and how she wants to be taught at home until she's a grown up.  JR mentioned a few times that I am not a teacher and this is not school.  He is a guy that thrives on routine and takes a while to adapt to change, so in time he'll come around and do well with the structure our day provides.  All in all, the day was very encouraging and I'm super proud of my big First Grader and Pre-Kindergarten-er!


No comments:

Post a Comment