Friday, January 13, 2012

Reflections and Ramblings.

Although this is is our first year homeschooling, it feels as if we've been doing it forever.  It came much more naturally than I expected and without most of the things I feared.  I have gained confidence in the last few months in my ability to educate my children as they have each grown and blossomed in their own way.  I don't think the old saying "quality not quantity" is true in the case of our family.  One of my favorite parts of always being with them is that I am a witness to each success.  Remember how amazing it was to see your child take her first steps?  It's equally as exciting to watch your preschooler finally "get" rhyming and hear the silly words he makes up.  He just might be the next Dr. Seuss! 

I knew it would take some time to find our groove, but we're improving every day.  A few things I've learned:  Having a routine is key, and so is knowing when to throw the routine out the window to go play in the newly fallen snow.  They are in preschool and first grade and we have lots of years ahead of us to learn about the solar system and the Revolutionary War; they might just learn more building forts and pretending the couch is a ship than they would reading a textbook.  After all, they do need time to socialize.  *wink* 

As for myself, I'm taking a deep breath.  I'm allowing myself to use the wonderful curriculum designed and planned out day by day for me.  There are so many great and amazing things I want to do with the kids that I was getting burnt out trying to do it all!  Instead I'm allowing myself to use all of that extra energy and time to enjoy my family and seize teachable moments when they present themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment