Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Window Up-cycle

Last week we had a few very warm, spring-like days which were pretty unusual for January around here.  We took advantage and rode our bikes to the park to enjoy it.  On the way home I spotted a treasure on the curb side - six old windows, just waiting for the garbage man.  We hurried home to get the car in a race to beat the garbage man before he swept away my windows.  (Both the neighbor and I forgot that garbage wasn't coming until the next day because of a holiday.)  The kids thought I was a bit crazy and I had to explain to JR why it was okay to take something left on the curb.  My mind was racing with all of the exciting possibilities for up-cycling the find.

After a few days of consideration I decided that one would be the perfect addition to our dining room/ home school room as a unique white board. I have been fighting as hard as I can to keep our dining room from looking like a kindergarten classroom, but as our timeline grows and the printed-out memory verses increase, I fear I'm loosing the battle.  Plus, I just got tired of dragging out and putting away our calendar board each day, so now it hangs on the wall as well.  My new goal:  Classy Homeschool/Dining Room.

I gave one of my new windows a fresh white wash (I like old, but not dirty old), used a staple gun to add some fabric I already had to the back, and nailed two picture hangers to the frame.  My dear husband was not too pleased to add new holes to the wall with the anchors required to hang it, especially after hanging my new map on the same wall after Christmas, but he helped anyways and I love him for it.  Voila!  Adorable little white board ready for my classy classroom.


2 comments: