Monday, April 16, 2012

Experimenting with Workboxes

I'm not the kind of person who enjoys having the same schedule everyday.  One day I'll be excited to start the day early and get a lot accomplished and another day I might want to stay in my pajamas until lunch time.  It hit me recently that this is not helpful to my kids or myself for that matter.  Since they didn't know what was expected of them at any given time, they complained or were shocked when I asked them to put away whatever they were enjoying to start school or chores. 

We've been using these chore charts for a few weeks now and they're working well.  I like that I can change the chores from day to day rather than week to week like our previous charts.  They always have the morning routine *chores*:  get dressed, brush teeth, make bed, pick up bedroom, brush hair.  I usually give them two or three little jobs as well. 

I've been doing a lot of reading about workboxes recently, I know I'm a little behind the trend, but I like the idea.  I've tried similar lists and piles for the kids, but workboxes seem much more organized.  I decided to give it a try using folders this week before making an investment in boxes.  Today went well, JR LOVED the idea of getting through his folders.  The kid thrives on competition and he was so excited each time he reached a new number.  EM got off to a rough start because I gave her Math right of the bat (not a great idea considering we usually do it together when LD is napping).  I think she'll do well too with a little tweaking of the schedule.  I'm glad to have a few weeks left of the school year to give the workboxes a dry run before laminating and mod-podging my summer away. 

Oh, on another note I bought this little e-book the other day and it has helped me remember to keep up with the basics!

No comments:

Post a Comment