Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Countdown to Christmas!

In the past few months I think I may have spent a bit too much time on Pinterest, due to the fact that our usually sufficient good ol' paper chain countdown with Christmas activites written on the links seemed lacking pazazz.  I was inspired by this cute advent countdown garland and created my own version. 
Inspiration!


The link to this advent garland has a free printable of the cute numbers she used to label her envelopes which I printed and cut out.  I didn't have any open-ended envelopes and was shocked after learning from a trip to Office Max that they cost $25 a box!  I decided to improvise and use cardstock, which I cut in half width-wise.  After writing each activity on a blank index card and fancy-ing them up with stickers, I taped (lightly in case I need to switch activities around to a different day) them to my cardstock.  I folded the cards shut and used another small piece of rolled up tape to close.  Glue the adorable numbers to the outside, and voila!  Finished!


I like how the original project was hung horizontally, but hanging it on the door was a better use of space for me.

Our December Activities
1.  Tell the Christmas story and act out with Nativity figures
2.  Homeschool Christmas get-together and watch Santa Buddies
3.  Parade of Lights and Live Nativity
4.  Go see Harold and The Purple Crayon
5.  Decorate Gingerbread House
6.  Make salt dough ornaments
7.  Go to the library to borrow Christmas books
8.  Family movie night:  The Polar Express (with cocoa and popcorn)
9.  Family Game Night
10.  Holiday Magic at the zoo
12.  Picnic dinner in front of the Christmas Tree
14.  Family Movie Night:  The Santa Clause
15.  Make Paper Snowflakes
16.  Camp out in front of the Christmas Tree
18.  Watch Miracle on 34th Street
20.  Doing Unto Others Day
21.  Make Ice Sun Catchers
22.  Bake Cookies for Santa
23.  Make ice cream
24.  Go to church and celebrate Jesus

We are also doing a Jesse Tree Devotion as a family, which I will post about later.

2 comments:

  1. Holli, your Christmas countdown turned out so cute! LOL, it sounds like we are thinking very much along the same lines for our Advent activities :) We will be doing something very similar & a Jesse Tree, too! Have a blessed Advent season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Collette! I just saw your Advent tree and it turned out absolutely adorable! Looking forward to seeing you on Friday. :)
    ~Holli

    ReplyDelete