Saturday, November 5, 2011

I'm a runner.

For as long as I can remember, I have admired runners.  They are strong and healthy, and usually a fun-loving bunch.  I was born into a running family - both of my parents are runners (even though some health issues keep Mom from running these days - she's still a runner at heart).  As a kid I remember handing out water at many-a-water station and having pancakes with the Park Forest Running and Pancake Club.  Sometimes I even got to help make the pancakes! 

My husband, who is naturally athletic, is a runner too.  He's one of those people who can go out and run a few miles with little to no training and make it look easy.  (Well, just so you know, it's not easy.)  So, Josh asked me a few months ago if I would like to run a 5k with him in November. 

"Sure!", I said.  November is a long way away - I've got plenty of time to train!

So I began the journey to my first 5k.  Thank goodness it cost $55 non-refundable dollars for the entry fee because my body did not enjoy this new request I was making of it.  It was rather accustomed to the non-running we had going on.  But, I would not let myself down!  I trudged through the first few weeks of the Couch to 5K and it started to get a little easier.  I gained confidence and thought maybe this was something I could do after all! 

And here I am today, 3.2 miles later.  I know in the grand scheme of running-kind 3.2 miles isn't very far and my finishing time wasn't very impressive, but now I know what it feels like to cross this finish line.  It feels pretty great!  And you know what feels even better?  Calling myself a runner. 

At the finish line!

7 comments:

  1. Very inspiring, Holli! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Holli! So happy for you that your 1st race went well...that is an awesome achievement :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Collette! I'm sorry we missed the Harvest Party, I was exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started Couch 25K this week, so I loved reading this! Can't wait to finish my first 5K!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The three kids, Grama & I stood a block north of the starting line and watched as thousands of runners streamed by us. Jeremiah was sitting on my shoulders and peering anxiously into the host. I wondered if we had missed you and Josh until I heard: "DAD!" and whirled around to see you looking back and waiving as you ran by already 25 meters past us. You had the biggest grin on your face.

    Congratulations Runner Lady! Whats next?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so excited to find you guys in the crowd at the start! :D I guess I should have a goal now or I might get lazy!

    ReplyDelete